Messy work trucks send the message that you and your business are unprofessional and sloppy; this can drive away customers who otherwise may have hired you. In addition to affecting your revenue, a messy work truck can also be a safety hazard, especially if you work with tools or heavy equipment.
To prevent any injuries or lost clients, we recommend cleaning out your work truck frequently. The best way to do this is with a cleaning schedule.
At the Start of Each Driving Shift
- Store any loose items securely. You don’t want them rolling around and causing distractions.
- Remove any items from under the vehicle’s seats.
- Remove any items from the dashboard and store them elsewhere.
- Clear off any mud, snow, or debris on your shoes before you begin driving. Not only do these dirty up your floorboards, but mud or water on your boots can make them slick, causing slippage when pushing the pedals.
- Verify that any ladders, equipment, or other materials are tied down and securely fastened. Ensure any container lids are tightly closed.
- Flag any materials that extend past the vehicle’s rear bumper or tailgate.
At the End of Each Day
- Throw away any trash that has accumulated throughout the day.
- Spot-clean any spills that have occurred in the vehicle.
- Check the mirrors and windshield for any dirt or smudges that could obscure the driver’s vision. Clean the mirrors and windshield as necessary.
At the End of Each Week
- Check your tires for nails or screws, worn-down treads, or low tire pressure.
- Verify that the turn signals, brake lights, and headlights are working.
- Ensure that there is plenty of windshield wiper fluid in the car, and confirm that the wipers are in good condition.
- Vacuum up any dirt or loose crumbs in your truck’s interior.
- Wash your truck seat covers and floor mats as necessary.
If you don’t already have floor mats or truck seat covers, we highly recommend you make the investment. They make the cleaning process much simpler and more efficient, as you can simply remove the dirty seat cover and throw it into the washer. Fia’s fitted truck seat covers are the best in the business for a reason. Choose Fia for a durable, affordable addition to your work truck. Cleaning out your work truck with this cleaning schedule will make your job a lot simpler.